Pages

Tuesday 29 September 2009

Show No Mercy

I've not been to Cleethorpes for a few seasons now - I have to say it's not one of my favourite away trips even though there a couple of middling pubs. I think I just find the place depressing (which is odd since I don't mind visiting Luton - I suppose the trip home is shorter though).

And this season would be no exception as once again I was having a late night out on the Friday to see one of my all-time favourite bands and decide to stay in bed and miss the game against Grimsby.

Now you'd all probably heard of Hawkwind who I went to see a few weeks ago but how many of you have heard of Punishment of Luxury? Few, if any, of you I suspect.

Well let me tell you that they're probably the best band that never made it to the big-time - I know the list of such bands is endless but in this case I'm right!


(left) Punishment of Luxury


Punilux hail from Newcastle and are generally described as a post-punk band. I first saw them at the City Hall in Newcastle as support to Ferryhill's best known export, Penetration, and they blew me away.

Their first single, Puppet Life, is know to most fans of post-punk and their first album, Laughing Academy, was critically acclaimed.

And there's the rub. Their music and gigs were lauded far and wide but they seemed to suffer from a lack of support from label United Artists who spent more of their time and money promoting the Stranglers.

Eventually the band split up in 1983 after various record label issues - plus a little too much of the rock'n'roll lifestyle according to bassist Jimi Giro - and although guitarist Nevilluxury had a version of the band going in London for a few years in 1984 - which neatly coincided with my arrival there - this also petered out after a year or so.

So for the past 20-odd years there's been very little happening - the odd CD release of old demos but that was it. And then they all got back together for bassist Jimi Giro's 50th birthday and before we know it they were making their first appearance in the capital for about 25 years when they played Kilburn's Luminaire in the summer.

And then we get another gig in Camden a few months later - what did we do to deserve this? I met up with three-quarters of the band outside the venue - old chum Neville running late - and joined them for their sound-check which is always fun.

They're a great bunch and are quite surprised at the level of interest that there still is in the band. They were even covered in an article in the Guardian by a fellow fan who shares my memories.

In recent years there's been a huge increase in the number of bands reforming and going on tour - from the likes of Spandau Ballet to little known punk bands. Is it because today's music is so bland or simply a way of re-living our youth? Probably a bit of both but I'm quite happy to see these bands again.

There are a couple of young bands supporting this evening - fresh-faced things starting out in the music biz, quite in contrast to the time-worn figures of Punilux - who more or less matching their fans who've turned up in droves to re-live those far off days.

However the years drop away as the band hit the stage - vocalist Brian Bond theatrically acting out the songs in a style reminiscent of Genesis-era Gabriel (but thankfully without the masks) whilst Jimi and Steve providing the pounding rhythm and Nev the cordantly discordant guitar sound that is their trademark.


(right) Brian Bond - the dungarees still fit

The sound is tight as a drum and they're getting better with each gig - and clearly having fun. I just hope they hang on for a few more years as it's clear we've not had enough yet.

So what has this got to do with Darlo? Very little but if there are many more gigs like this then my loyalty is going to be divided.

Punilux always deliver - not so the Quakers. There only so much punishment I can take you know!

Don't worry - a normal football and pub-based service should be resumed soon...

No comments: