Pages

Wednesday 9 December 2009

Oh No It Isn't!!

For the second time in two days I was in Darlo though today promised a higher level of entertainment as I took my sister and nieces to see Aladdin at the Civic Theatre.

Before that, the girls went shopping which left me enough time for a quick stiffener at the Quakerhouse where the staff were busy putting up Christmas decorations.

I had a pint of Wenleydale Brewery's Sheep Rustler which was a nut brown ale - something which you don't see too often but it was very smooth and silky.

Just as I was supping up a new beer was put on, the wonderfully titled Cyril The Magnificent from High House Farm brewery. Judging from the label this was a dunkel weisse and Cyril is a cat.

But as we know we shouldn't judge by labels as the beer was far from dunkel - in fact it was a fairly straight-forward impression of a weisse beer and not at all dark. Soft and smooth but not wheaty enough for my tastes.

And so onto the panto - my first proper panto ever and it has to be said I only really want to see this one as the Grumbleweeds are appearing.

The Grumbleweeds are in many respects a relic of the 70s - a comedy troupe from the club circuit doing impressions and telling dodgy jokes - and northern too of course - but we used to love their radio shows which ran from 1979 to 1988 on Radio 2 and characters such as Uncle nasty and Wilf 'Gasmask' Grimshaw. Believe me, it was funny - honest.

Appearing with them was Chico who more represents the modern-day breed of panto artiste - which tend to be soap 'stars' or the winner/runner-up of some modern-day reality show - at least he should keep the ladies happy.

Should we ever have cause to go back to Kenilworth Road and I complain about the seats, just say "Civic Theatre". There's hardly any legroom and I'm almost bent double and you all know that I'm not the world's tallest person. I'm sure Justice Taylor wouldn't be impressed.

It's only the third full performance of the show and the occasional line is fluffed or forgotten but my youngest niece loves it all the same.

Then following one song and dance scene, Widow Twanky comments that she's not enjoyed herself so much "since Darlington last won at home".

And there we have it - Darlo are once again music-hall material just like the old days...

No comments: