Pages

Monday 23 November 2009

A Game Of One Half, Brian

Arriving at the away end at Saltergate, I had expected a bit of hassle with regard to my camera but for once the stewards were very considerate.

I'd wanted to make sure I took a snap or three of our final visit to what must be one of the few remaining open terraces in the league - not a problem, they said, snap away. Let's hope they retain that level of friendliness at the new place.

(above) The away terrace at Saltergate

Most Darlo fans had retreated to the stand to escape the rain which whilst not too heavy was very persistent - my drinking compadres were no different in this respect but it was good to see there was still a hardcore of youngsters who were stood behind the goal, prepared to get wet for the cause.

I much prefer to stand whenever I get the chance and cognoscent of the forecast, I'd brought my waterproof so I could stay out in the rain. I spied Pete - a fellow London-based fan who works for World Soccer - who'd taken the same precautions and so I joined him. No point getting wet on our own, is there?

(above) Al-Fresco Comfort Area

For the first half hour or so, the game reflected the conditions - annoying and not very pleasant - Darlo were on the back-foot for most of that time and the defence were struggling. Plus precious little action from the lone figure of Curtis Main upfront to alleviate the pressure.

Chesterfield then took the lead with a deflected shot - Darlo claims for a foul on Foster were waved away.

I decided to go walkabout and get a few more snaps, especially the Al-Fresco Comfort Area - or open air bogs to you and me - just had to be recorded for posterity for their sheer minimalism when it came to cover.

I got talking to my old chum Geoff from Northallerton - he and I grew up together and we went to our first Darlo games together as young teens - and he was adamant that we just couldn't afford to get relegated - as we all know, the Conference is all but Division Five (League Three?) and will be extremely difficult to get out of.

I didn't disagree but I said that I don't think we'll have much option if we're going to stay within budget - and with that Chesterfield popped in a second - an effort from the edge of the box that evaded everyone. And then the ref blew for half-time.

(above) A disconsolate Geoff after we concede a second goal


At this point, the chances of Darlo getting anything from this game looked remote - the defence that was so secure last Saturday looked so leaky today - and the lure of a nice warm pub with a good selection of beers got the better of me. I unsuccesfully checked around to see if anyone wanted to join me and then wandered off back to the Chesterfield Arms.

By the time I'd warmed up and got through my first pint, I'd got into conversation with a couple of local lads who were 'debating' whether Liverpool or Manchester United had the better record. I was tempted to suggest they go and support their local team but I was hardly in a position to do that today.

I rang Liz - she was at home today rather than take the bus-replacement service to their game away at Torquay - and she said we'd pulled a goal back through Collins but it was still 3-1 to 'Cheaterfield' as she insists on calling them.

After the game Brian and John came back in the pub for a beer but other than get the final score from them I was having to sup up and wander off to catch my train.

On the return leg I was joined by Chris who was extremely scornful of my lack of loyalty to the cause today - he just doesn't understand the lure of a good pub. And this after he missed both our games at Barnet because of weddings!

No comments: